My Background in the Community
- Resident of Los Altos Hills since 2009, resident of Cupertino 1996-2009. I grew up in this area, going to elementary school in East Palo Alto and middle/high school in West San Jose.
- Current member of the Los Altos Hills County Fire District (since 2015), and elected President in three consecutive unanimous elections (2016-present)
- Board member (2008-2015) and President (2010-2012) of West Valley Community Services, a non-profit community-based agency providing a wide range of basic needs services to the communities of Cupertino, West San Jose, Los Gatos, Saratoga, and Monte Serreno. Currently volunteer weekly to bring donated food from grocery stores to the food pantry
- Cupertino Union School District Board (CUSD) member 2003-2007, President 2006-2007.
- Recipient of Cupertino’s 2002 CREST Award for Community Service, for work with Scouting (8 years), AYSO Soccer (6 seasons as a Referee), and Rotary (currently 17+ years), including international projects in China, Colombia, Guatemala, and (in 2018) Romania (shown with the first ultrasound specific for hemophilia in the entire country, commissioned June 2018)
- My wife of 39 years, Stephanie, is a retired elementary teacher and continuing Special Consultant for Los Altos School District. She also mentors new teachers through the Silicon Valley New Teacher Project. Our three adult children have all earned graduate degrees after attending Cupertino public schools.
Son Alexander is an explosives engineer and lives in Joliet, IL. Daughter Natalie is a therapist and lives in Oakland.
Son Gregory and his wife Jessica are both microbiologists and live with their daughter Melody (born December 2017) in Maryland.
My Background in Business
- BS and MS in Chemical Engineering from UC Berkeley, MBA in Finance from SJSU
- Manufacturing and Process Development in Pharmaceuticals – have skills in developing important new therapies (including drugs for ovarian cancer and multiple myeloma) and bringing them to the market.
- Managed departments of up to 150 employees, budgets of over $10 million/year, and capital projects of >$30 million.
- Current self-employed Consultant, helping small companies bring their products from the lab to the pharmacy. Former vice president of three biotech start-ups, General Manager of Bay Area Operations for J&J, and Head of Operations and Engineering for Novartis.
- Current Lecturer at UC Berkeley, teaching Chemical Process Design each Fall as the capstone class for seniors in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
My LinkedIn Page:
Hobbies include running (two marathons and dozens of half marathons), travel (have been to all 50 states, and with Stephanie have visited all 13 Presidential Libraries, all 21 California Missions, and about 2/3 of the Major League Baseball parks), and home winemaking. Immediate past president of the Santa Clara chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers - I tend >50 fruit trees, including an apple I have grafted to hold 31 different varieties. Shown are 7 of the ~15 varieties of plums I grow.